Due to the rapidly changing situation with regard to COVID-19, we recommend that you seek information and the latest guidance from the following:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Prevent Epidemics
- New York Department of Health
Vital Strategies and our Prevent Epidemics initiative have established the #KnowCOVID web page and hashtag to offer clear, credible and current information on novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) through materials on this page and through our social media channels.
We also have guidance for older adults, those with underlying health conditions, health care providers and government.
- Everybody: Wash hands often, cover coughs and sneezes, stay home when sick and seek medical attention if you have COVID-19 symptoms for more than two days.
- Older adults and those with health conditions: Secure a three-month supply of essential medications, avoid crowds and travel, stay home as much as possible.
- Health care providers: Implement infection prevention procedures, be ready for a surge of people with mild symptoms, and plan to postpone elective surgery and intensive care support.
- Society and government: Provide clear, credible and consistent information about COVID-19, analyze the costs and benefits of social distancing interventions and recognize that we learn more every day and need to adapt our response.
Updated March 24, 2020
Dr. Tom Frieden, President and CEO of our Resolve to Save Lives initiative, gives advice on how to limit the spread of coronavirus.
Information from trusted sources:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) information
PreventEpidemics.org: Country-level information on epidemic preparedness from PreventEpidemics.org
New York Department of Health: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Information
World Health Organization: Daily situational report from the World Health Organization
World Health Organization: Country and Technical Guidance COVID-19
Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security: Situation Reports, COVID-19
Johns Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering: COVID-19 Global Cases (interactive map)
Resolve to Save Lives: Tips for health care providers from Resolve to Save Lives
Resolve to Save Lives: What to know and what to do
World Health Organization: World Health Organization COVID myth busters