Nowhere has the impact of COVID-19 been more evident than in urban areas, home to more than 50% of the world’s population.
To mark World Cities Day 2020, the Partnership for Healthy Cities—supported by Bloomberg Philanthropies, the World Health Organization and Vital Strategies—hosted a special VitalTalks event on how cities are leading us through the pandemic toward a healthier world.
- Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General of the World Health Organization
- Michael R. Bloomberg, 108th mayor of New York City and founder of Bloomberg Philanthropies
- José Luis Castro, President and CEO of Vital Strategies
- Dr. Etienne Krug, Director of the World Health Organization’s Social Determinants of Health Department
- A moderated discussion led by Dr. Kelly Henning, who leads the public health program of Bloomberg Philanthropies, with Mayor Claudia López of Bogotá, Colombia, Mayor Kostas Bakoyannis of Athens, Greece and Deputy Lord Mayor Doreen Nyanjura of the Kampala Capital City Authority, Uganda
COVID-19 has brought urban leadership on health into greater focus: with more than 50% of the world’s population living in cities, urban governments have mounted a remarkable pandemic response—and continue to face daunting challenges. Speakers highlighted urban action and collaboration during this unprecedented pandemic. The Partnership for Healthy Cities also released a portfolio of case studies on the urban response to COVID-19.
To learn more and to access the newly released case studies, please visit: https://cities4health.org/city-stories
Brazil – Road Safety – In a blink of an eye
Brazil – Road Safety – Will you let it happen?
Brazil – Road Safety – Slow Down – Don’t exceed the limit of life
India Regulates Tobacco Content on Streaming Services
Uganda – Road Safety – Speeding Kills, Slow Down
Turkiye – Tobacco Control – Their Gain, Our Loss: The Environmental Costs
Vietnam – Tobacco Control – “Don’t let e-cigarette smoke cloud our future generation”
China – Tobacco Control – Asian Games
Colombia – Road Safety – It Didn’t Have to Happen. Slow Down. (Fernanda’s Story)
Colombia – Road Safety – It Didn’t Have to Happen. Slow Down. (Tatiana’s Story)