Strengthening civil registration and vital statistics (CRVS) systems poses challenges due, among other things, to the interdependencies among ministries and agencies involved. Based on lessons learned from countries around the world, the CRVS Systems Improvement Framework provides countries with the tools to assess and improve their CRVS systems and processes that brings stakeholders together to solve problems. This self-guided e-learning course is designed to help CRVS system planners and administrators implement the Framework.
The Framework’s purpose is to guide the analysis, redesign and monitoring of the business processes that are at the foundation of CRVS systems. For example, these include the review, revision and measurement of end-to-end activities for registering births and deaths and assigning causes of death for vital events occurring both in and outside of health facilities.
Who should take this course?
- Government employees and other professionals responsible for implementing CRVS systems in low- and middle-income countries will benefit from this three-module course.
- Senior government officials, policymakers or development partners who support CRVS systems strengthening may be interested in focusing only on Module 1, which provides an introductory overview of the Framework and its application.
- Those who would actively lead and participate in the implementation of the Framework would benefit from completing the entire course to gain further skills and knowledge about the implementation and monitoring of the Framework’s application.
By the end of the course, participants will learn how to:
- Systematically analyse and assess the performance of processes in the CRVS systems
- Develop redesign solutions to address root causes of performance issues in CRVS business processes
- Develop and implement strategic and action plans for the strengthening of CRVS through business process redesign
Module 1: Introduction to the CRVS Systems Improvement Framework
Module 2: CRVS systems assessment, analysis, and re-design
- Submodule 2.1: Describing and mapping CRVS business processes
- Submodule 2.2: Identifying performance issues through key performance indicators
- Submodule 2.3: Identifying root causes
- Submodule 2.4: Developing redesign ideas
Module 3: Strategic planning, implementing, and monitoring and evaluating progress
- Submodule 3.1: How to develop a CRVS strategic plan
- Submodule 3.2: Developing an action plan
- Submodule 3.3: Implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the strategic plan
Abbreviated e-learning program (Module 1 only): This track is suited for senior government officials, policymakers or development partners who support CRVS systems strengthening. Module 1 offers a strong introduction to the Framework and provide the insight needed to support system improvement.
Full e-learning program (Modules 1–3): The full e-learning program is recommended for government officials or partners who will actively participate in the implementation of the CRVS Systems Improvement Framework. Similarly, facilitators who will lead the process, write reports, and oversee the development of the strategic plan are advised to follow this track. Participants will gain a strong understanding of how to implement the Framework after completing all three modules.
This course was developed by Vital Strategies through the Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health Initiative, and partners: the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, the Pacific Community (SPC), the World Health Organisation, and the Centre of Excellence for CRVS Systems at the International Development Research Centre.